Cardiff City 0 - 0 Mansfield Town. Match Report

Last updated : 08 January 2018 By Michael Morris

C:WindowsTempphpD733.tmpMansfield earned an FA Cup third-round replay against Cardiff by forcing a goalless draw in the Welsh capital.

Stags goalkeeper Conrad Logan kept the scores level at half-time before a host of second-half chances went begging for both sides.

Alex MacDonald and Paul Anderson had chances to seal a famous victory at a near-empty Cardiff City Stadium, but Steve Evans' side will at least be in the hat for the fourth-round draw.

During a drab opening period, Cardiff only sprung into action and fashioned a trio of chances moments before the half-time whistle.

The ball found its way to Callum Paterson on the edge of the box after some neat interplay, but Logan was on hand to palm it away to safety.

His hands were stinging again four minutes later when Rhys Healey unleashed a powerful shot, only to see it turned behind.

Evans' side had their best opportunity to break the deadlock five minutes into the second half when Alex Donald broke from midfield and weaved his way through a sea of blue shirts before curling a shot just wide.

Cardiff went straight down the other end and would have broken the deadlock had it not been for some heroic defending from Malvind Benning, who rushed back to block Healey's goal-bound effort.

The visitors had another golden opportunity to snatch victory when Anderson broke into the box and saw his shot deflected just wide.

Logan then produced a stunning stop from what would have been an own goal to force a second meeting at Field Mill.

Cardiff City: Murphy, Richards, Morrison, Manga, Bennett, Halford, Tomlin, Healey, Paterson, Mendez-Laing, Zohore


Damour (for Morrison, 74)

Hoilett (for Healey, 77)

Pilkington (for Zohore, 80)

Subs not used: Etheridge, Feeney, M.Harris, Bogle

Mansfield Town: Logan; Anderson, Pearce (capt.), Bennett, Benning; Potter, Mellis (Atkinson, 90), MacDonald, Hamilton; Hemmings (Spencer, 45), Angol (Sterling-James, 75)

Subs not used: Olejnik, Digby, White, Butcher

Referee: Lee Probert

Attendance: 6,378