Cardiff City 4 - 1 Leyton Orient. Website reaction

Last updated : 13 August 2003 By Michael Morris
Comfortable is the word I'd use to describe City's first round Carling Cup win over Orient.

No disrespect to the Londoners, they worked hard and gave City a fair run out but when it mattered most City were not found wanting.

The Bluebirds had plenty of possession and at times plenty of pretty passing but I felt tonight that there was more of an effort to get the ball forward.

It took until the 39th minute for the first goal to come, Earnie powered home a drive from the edge of the box into the right hand side of the goal after a Gareth Whalley pass. Orient kicked off but lost possession immediately, less than 30 seconds play since Earnie's first goal and he made it 2 - 0. This time Mark Bonners perfect pass was struck first time by the City striker and the ball curled over the helpless Harrison in the O's goal. Both goals from the same spot 20 yards out.

Orient were close to taking an early lead, a goalmouth scramble saw the ball cleared.

O's keeper Lee Harrison was stretchered off on 45 mins. The 31 year old keeper looked in a bad way after a goalmouth collision following a Layton Maxwell corner. He was replaced by Glenn Morris.

The game was poorly attended, just 4,503 fans including a hundred or so Orient fans were at Ninian Park.

You felt City were in command with a two goal lead, when Earnie turned and fired Andy Campbells cross through Glann Morris there was no way back for Orient. The third goal came on 59 mins and on 60 mins it was 4 - 0. Andy Campbell broke down the left, he cut inside, skipped a challenge and placed the most delightful chip over Morris and in off the underside of the bar.

Slack marking at a corner on 75 mins allowed Ibehre to pull one back and it could have been worse but a second Orient goal was dis-allowed for offside.

It was a formality by then. Stuart Fleetwood was given 20 or so mins and he looked sharp and hungry replacing Robert Earnshaw.

Earnie was given man of the match for his goals and I thought James Collins was excellent.

City rested Alexander, Kavanagh, Robinson and Boland. All four were on the bench with Fleetwood. Only Fleetwood and Boland saw action.

The draw for round 2 of the Carling Cup is on Saturday afternoon at 5:30pm. In come the Premiership sides not competing in Europe. Last season we drew Spurs.