Cardiff City res 2 - 1 Bristol City res

Last updated : 30 November 2005 By Paul Evans

I really enjoyed the game because both sides had attacking intent and played good quality football, there were so many close misses for either side that it could easilly have finished 8-8!

There was a nice contrast between the teams with City going back to the youngsters after a few games where senior players featured, whilst the wurzels team was packed with players with first team experience like keeper Steve Phillips, ex Palace and Wolves full back Jamie Smith, Bradley Orr, Alex Russell, Grant Smith and Marcus Stewart who probably overtook Ian Woan as the most famous visiting reserve team player of recent years.

Whereas Bristol were bigger and stronger than City, we were that bit sharper and quicker than them and this helped to create a situation where play constantly swung from end to end.

Usually it's fairly easy for me to recall the important incidents from reserve matches, but there were so many today that it's impossible for me to do so (the fact I wasn't there for one or two of them as well also has something to do with this as well!).

Rather than go through incidents, I think it's best to mention different players contributions. Keeper Lee Worgan weas guilty of a few poor errors (one of which caused Byron Anthony to clear off the line with Worgan nowhere), but balanced that with some really great saves - on what I have seen so far he looks another keeper who is a good shot stopper but has weaknesses in other areas.

Joe Jacobson defended well and again looked one of the most composed players on the pitch, he also came very close to scoring with a clever quickly taken free kick which nearly surprised Phillips. Although Bristol had a lot of chances, the Anthony /Parslow centreback combination coped well with some decent quality opponents.

In midfield Koskela and Khalil combined well while it was good to see Jamal Easter back and almost scoring with a twenty five yard effort that forced a great save from Phillips.

Finally Anthony Taylor and Stuart Fleetwood looked fully recovered from their accident and the latter had the reward of a winning goal for his efforts.

Amongst all the close misses there were three goals and here's a description of two of them! City took the lead in first half injury time when the unmarked Toni Koskela powerfully headed home Easter's corner from ten yards out. Early in the second half Stuart Fleetwood doubled the lead, but as I was savouring a half time pint of Brains Bitter in the Ninian Park at the time, I haven't got a clue what happened! Midway through the second half, Bristol got a goal back when the powerful ex Reading trialist Baz Savage caused problems from a corner and the ball fell to Grant Smith to fire a fine angled left footed drive past Worgan.

After that there were some very hairy moments for us with Worgan coming to our rescue on more than one occasion, but, we held on to our lead amidst the gloom - perhaps a draw would have been a fairer result, but as we were playing the wurzels , I think I can cope with the injustice of it all!