McGregor has joined on loan from Hull for the rest of the season and Bluebirds boss Neil Warnock has confirmed that the 34-year-old is his number one.
Apart from McGregor replacing Brian Murphy, Warnock is expected to name the same side which recovered to beat Bristol City 3-2 in such thrilling fashion last weekend.
Kenneth Zohore will lead the attack, with the out-of-favour Rickie Lambert among the substitutes.
Jackson Irvine remains an injury doubt for Burton after sitting out last weekend's home loss to Wigan.
The Australia midfielder continues to nurse a groin injury after being rested for the same issue for the FA Cup defeat at Watford.
Irvine has yet to train this week and a decision on his involvement will be taken on Friday before the team travel to south Wales.
Goalkeeper Jon McLaughlin is expected to be fit after coming off at half-time against Wigan following an aerial clash with Jake Buxton but on-loan Tottenham midfielder Will Miller will not recover from a hamstring problem.
- This is the first meeting between the sides in Cardiff since August 2010 when Cardiff won 4-1 after extra-time in the first round of the League Cup.
- The Brewers, however, won the reverse fixture this season 2-0 at the Pirelli Stadium.
- Cardiff have won their last two league games but haven't won three consecutively since September 2015.
- Burton have lost six of their last seven league games (W1) although their victory came in an away encounter with Rotherham.
- Seven of Cardiff's last 10 league goals have been scored in the 70th minute or later, including all three in their last game at Bristol City, which they won 3-2.
Referee: TIM ROBINSON
Assistants: Mark Jones and Robert Dabbs
Fourth Official: Brett Huxtable