City rocked by Blackpool late show

Last updated : 05 October 2008 By Michael Morris
After watching City outpass and for the most part outplay Blackpool it was a real blow to throw away two points.

City finally made the breakthrough in the 83rd minute when sub Paul Parry slotted the ball home to put the Bluebirds on the verge of a second consecutive win at Bloomfield Rd. But there was a last ditch twist to deny Cardiff the points.

With the announced 5 mins of injury time almost up Alan Gow swung his leg and hit a perfect shot that beat Heaton in the City goal. It felt like a punch in the guts. We'd been in the open air, watching the match in a feezing cold gale and a win would have made it all worthwhile but we trudged out deflated.

It's annoying that we can't just close out games comfortably. Even in the midweek win over Coventry we conceded in the 90th minute and had to endure a nervy few minutes before getting the win. A few weeks ago we blew a two goal lead at home to Norwich.

Teams that compete at the top of the table and get promotion are the ones that don't give away games like we seem to do. If we can't see these games out then we are facing another mid table season.

We've drawn 6 of out 10 league games so far. We are still in touch at the top but we need to be more ruthless.

The game at Blackpool was played in a strong wind with City having the advantage in the first half. City continued to play football rather than try to use the wind and one Blackpool chance apart, where they had a goal disallowed for offside, City overplayed and failed to create decent chances. When clear cut oportunities did come Joe Ledley twice blasted over from 12 yards with the goal at his mercy.

Kevin McNaughton picked up an injury on the verge of half time and he failed to come out for the second half. Comminges replaced him.

City's same old problems were on show again. Lots of play but no end product. The two strikers, Bothroyd and McCormack were drifting out of the box again and the amount of crosses that floated over open space where the centre forward should be was shocking. City were rocked by injury to Joe Leldey who pulled up and walked off to be replaced by Paul Parry in a like for like swap. Ledley is now a doubt for Wales' two international games coming up.

Parry finally managed to get City into the lead with a cool finish with his right foot after cutting in from the left. Just before the goal Steve McPhail heroically blocked a Blackpool attack and injured himself in the process. He was taken off and replaced by Eddie Johnson for the final 5 mins or so.

I'm afraid our Premier League loan signing did little to help City in those final minutes. He appeared frightened of the ball and while Bothroyd was looking to keep possession deep in the Blackpool half when he asked Johnson for help and passed the ball to him Johnson managed to lose possession.

Blackpool went long and direct with late pressure. 5 mins of injury time was about up when a Heaton goal kick into the wind held up and Gow took conrol and rifled home from 18 yards. Heaton has not had to do an awful lot in his City career so far. When he has been called to make a "big" save he does appear to be lacking.

Blackpool could not believe they had grabbed a point and they even managed another dangerous shot that could have won it. Thankfully that went over the bar.

The rest of the day was spent at the fun fair. There wasn't too much fun about it as the rains came in and we got absolutely soaked. Riding the Pepsi Max Big One, which travels at 70 mph, in the driving rain and a howling gale was quite an experience.

Next up City face Charlton at Ninian Park on October 18th.