Fingers Joe rifles home City winner

Last updated : 15 November 2008 By Michael Morris
A scrappy game for most of the 90 mins was improved by several key moments.

Tom Heaton's long throw to set Peter Whittingham free was a good piece of football, the move came to nothing but it was worth mentioning. City took the lead when Michael Chopra shimmied his way into the box, he tried to stay on his feet but eventually went down and the referee pointed to the spot.

Chops took a languid run up to the ball, stopped, picked up the ball re-positioned it and strolled back, took another languid run up, flahavan dived to his right, Chopra struck it in the opposite side of the goal. 1 - 0.

Within minutes though Palace were level. Route 1 at it's best. A long Flahavan kick caused confusion between McNaughton and Heaton leaving Sean Scannell to poke the ball into the unguarded net.

City's best other chance in the first half fell to an improving Eddie Johnson. His effort was skied but he was in a shooting position as the ball ran to him.

Early in the 2nd half Joe Ledley went down on the left hand touchline. We weren't sure at first what was wrong but it turned out to be a hand / finger injury. Paul Parry warmed up and got kitted out on the touchline to come on. Joe though got his fingers strapped and ran back onto the field.

It was timed to perfection. He ran onto Eddie Johnson's flicked header and Joe made no mistake with a left foot shot through the Palace keeper.

Chopra continued to be a threat up front with clever runs and closing down but it was Eddie Johnson who was a pain in the Palace side. Winning headers and playing a target man role Johnson had his best game in a City shirt. I'm still not convinced he is up to this level of football but credit where it's due.

City's most uncomfortable time came in the last 20 mins as big holes appeared in the City midfield and Palace swarmed forward. Thankfully they didn't trouble our keeper too much.

As the game moved into the 4 mins of added time Johnson found himself free in the box. He was taken out by Matt Lawrence who saw red for his challenge.

Michael Chopra stepped up for his 2nd penalty of the game but this time Flahavan made a super save. Time was up and the ball never made it out of the Palace half again and City took all three points.

Neil Warnock didn't disappoint with the referee having to warn him to shut up. He engaged is some banter with the Grandstand as well.

City stay 6th with Severnside rivals Swansea and Bristol City in 7th and 8th.

Next up is the live Sky game at Plymouth next Saturday lunchtime.