Gills 1 - 2 City. Lee is the dogs Bullocks. Website reaction

Last updated : 04 April 2004 By Michael Morris
Cardiff City pulled off a double over Gillingham but really it was a fortunate 3 points.

At half time City were 1 up. Robert Earnshaw headed in Parry's cross after the City winger got the better of Banks in the Gill's goal. Parry's cross / shot was met by Earnie who made sure the Bluebirds went ahead.

Prior to that Earnie had missed a penalty. His poor effort well saved by Banks but the execution from Earnshaw was poor.

Gillingham had possession but no cutting edge and Margetson made two routine saves from shots straight at him and collected 2 crosses.

City ended the half on top, a goal to the good Earnie and Robinson both scorched the right hand post.

Second half was all Gillingham. A half time rocket from player manager Andy Hessenthaler saw the Gill's batter Cardiff and to be honest deserve at least a point, if not all three.

Gillingham chased every ball and cut deep into City and scored an equaliser after a run of for consecutive corners. Hope gave Gill's hope with his 59th minute header.

City took a battering and were lucky to still be in the game when a cross from the left was parried away by Banks. It fell to Langley who crossed perfectly for Lee Bullock to head home. 86 mins gone and City fans went wild on the temporary seats but the joy turned to despair when direct from the kick off Gillingham pushed forward into the City box and Chris Barker fouled and Gill's had a penalty.

With 89 mins on the clock the struggling side, who are in a relegation battle, thought they would rescue a point but Alan Poulton fired the kick a foot wide.

City saw out the final three mins of injury time to leave themselves as a play off contender. Five points from 6th place and only 7 points from 3rd place.

The City victory was made even sweeter when I collected £100 for my £5 e/w on the Grand National winner.

The drive home flew by, probably the points and the money making the day feel real good.