Hibs 2 - 1 Cardiff City. Reports and reaction

Last updated : 28 July 2004 By Michael Morris

Hibernian: S Brown, Whittaker, Caldwell, Murdock, Murphy [Smith 76 mins], Brown [Orman58 mins], Beuzelin [Shields 76 mins], Brebner, Glass [Nicol 70 mins], O' Connor [Riordan 62 mins], McManus [Dobbie 58 mins]. Subs: [not used] A Brown

Cardiff: Margetson [Warner 46 mins], Weston [Barker 76 mins], Gabbidon, Page [Collins 76 mins], Vidmar [Croft 46 mins], Langley, Kavanagh [Bullock 46 mins], Boland, Thorne, Earnshaw, Lee [Campbell 46 mins] Subs: all used

Goals. Hibs: McManus 25, Dobbie 83. City: Earnshaw 84.

Match reports.
Wales On Sunday
Sunday Herald
Hibs Official Website

Website reaction
Yours truly awoke from his summer football hibernation and headed for Edinburgh for a pre season game in the Scottish capital. Thanks to the cut price airlines a flight from Cardiff was not a bank breaker.

The weather forecasts I'd heard before Saturday claimed that summer had arrived, Cardiff airport was bright at 6.30am but as we headed north and landed in Edinburgh we'd stepped back towards winter. A fleece or a sweatshirt was needed for the morning's sightseeing and as the day wore on we were sat at Easter Rd with several minutes of driving rain forcing some City fans from the front of the stand where they were exposed to the elements.

This picture of Edinburgh castle was taken from the upper deck of an open top sightseeing bus.

After a traditional lunch of lasagne and a couple of Stella's it was off to Easter Rd. I was rather alarmed at the police presence as the ground approached with mounted police and officers on each corner. At the ground there was no problem, the shop (right) was more than welcoming.

I'm not sure of the attendance but there was a few thousand there with probably 250 Cardiff fans.

City were short on first half chances, the best fell to Richard Langley, who's shot went into the ground and looped up over the keeper to hit the bar and a Graham Kavanagh free kick that was well parried away. Hibs led at half time 1 - 0, City were exposed down their right and the left winger squard for McManus to drive past Margetson.

Hibs could have been 2 up but for a point blank stop from Margetson. Kav was lucky not to be in trouble after a two footed tackle.

My concerns at half time was that City were not quick enough in possession. Hibs could get the ball, make two quick passes and find space. City were congested and not stretching the home team. Granted Hibs have been in pre season for longer but I didn't feel we had a fitness problem.

Into the second half and City created several good chances. Earnie pounced on a sloppy back pass to go one on one with the keeper, Earnie chipped from edge of the box but his effort hit the bar much to the amusement of the Scots (who of course were slain by Earnie at the Millennium Stadium). Andy Campbell had two great chances, the first he sidefooted into the keepers arms and the second he scooped over the bar. Robert Page also had a headed over the bar.

Hibs went 2 up when Dobbie found himself in space in front of goal, City's offside appeals were in vain as he proddd the ball past Tony Warner. Almost immedately Robert Earnshaw opened his pre season account when he broke from midfield, ran 30 yards before fore unleashing a curling shot from 20 yards past the Hibs keeper. Earnie did his somersault to celebrate but I'm sure he's still wondering how he missed the first effort. City had a late corner but never threatened from it.

The Hibs fans during the game had a voiciferous element to our right, they caused enough concern to ensure a strong police presence in the ground. We also had to wait 15 mins at the final whistle before being let out. I'd hate to think of the operation needed to cover the visit of Celtic, Rangers or local rivals Hearts.

The journey home on Sunday took slightly longer as we came back on the train. 7 hours give or take 5 mins. A great experience for me personally and a good workout against SPL opposition for City.