John Heyda looks into City's FA Cup replays
In fact, Bluebird replays away against top-flight opponents have been rare.
* 1989/90. City draw with QPR 0-0 at Ninian Park in a 3rd-round matchup, setting up a replay at Loftus Road which the Bluebirds lose 2-0. QPR get past Arsenal in the 4th round and Blackpool in the 5th before losing to Liverpool in the quarterfinals. City wind up the year 21st in Division Three and are relegated to the dungeon. QPR go on to finish 11th in Division One.
* 1979/80. City hold Arsenal to a 0-0 draw in a 3rd-round tie at Ninian Park, necessitating a Highbury replay. The Bluebirds drop the second go-round 2-1 three days later. The Gunners go on to beat Brighton in the 4th round, Bolton in the 5th, Watford in the quarterfinals, and Liverpool in the semis, before losing to West Ham in the final. City finish 15th in Division Two, Arsenal 4th in Division One.
* 1966/67. The Bluebirds and Manchester City draw 1-1 in a 4th-round atch in Cardiff, sending the two clubs to a replay at Maine Road. Manchester City win the replay 3-1 and go on to dispatch Ipswich in the 5th round before falling at Leeds in the quarters. City go on to finish 20th in Division Two, barely averting the drop, while Man City wind up 15th in Division One.
* 1960/61. City draw with Manchester City 1-1 at Ninian Park in a 3rd-round contest, then draw 0-0 with their top-flights opponents at Maine Road, in the first of two replays. Man City win the second replay 2-0 at White Hart Lane but lose in the fourth round at Luton 3-1. City wind up 15th in Division One, Man City 13th.
* 1949/50. After a 2-2 3rd-round draw with West Bromwich at Ninian Park, City take on the Baggies in a replay at the Hawthorns and win 1-0. Drawn away against another top-flight opponent, Charlton Athletic, for the next round, City draw 1-1 at the Valley then win 2-0 at Ninian Park. The cup run, which ends in the 5th round with a 3-1 loss at second-tier Leeds, is the last to assign City consecutive top-level opponents. City finish the year 10th in Division Two, WBA 14th in the First Division.
* 1921/22. City reach the quarterfinals of the FA Cup in only their second season as a league club. Up against top-flight Tottenham Hotspur, City battle Spurs to a 1-1 draw in Cardiff to set up a replay at White Hart Lane. Spurs win that replay 2-1 but lose their semifinal with Preston 2-1. City wind up 4th in Division One, Spurs 2nd.
Altogether, City's seven replays away against top-flight opponents show one win, one draw, and five losses.