Jolly Roger breaks Saints' hearts

Last updated : 10 August 2008 By Michael Morris
As I sat in the pouring rain, getting soaked through to the skin I questioned my senility as I watched City close in on a draw that would have been an OK start to the new season but ultimately a disappointing one.

And then one of those moments happened that made you remember exactly why you put yourself through the torture every week and that was a winning goal with just seconds remaining.

Cruel on Southampton who, while not being the greatest, could at times be called "plucky". They had a go early on and for the open 20 mins pinned City back in their own half, and in the second half they threatened to break away and possibly steal all three points. But thankfully for me, and the 18,000 other Cardiff fans we got the break this time and owe thanks to the referee's assistant running the line alongside the Grandstand/Grange End who flagged to say that Kelvin Davies had not managed to keep out Roger Johnson's deflected header (you can see in the pic that the ball has crossed the line).

If you are a Facebook user then go here to see a video of the goal and for everyone, here are a selection of photographs.

The game started and finished in a downpour. Actually just about the whole game it rained and rained. It's meant to be the summer? A far cry from that day at Rotherham 5 years ago when we first played in the Championship. Now that was a summers day.

Steve Thompson scored the opening goal, a cooly placed sidefoot from 18 yards in the 41st minute. It should have been enough for City to get into half time with a lead. But Southampton managed to sneak an equaliser on 45 mins when Peter Whittingham was turned inside out and McGoldrick bundled home the cross.

The second half saw City dominate more but without putting the finishing touches to some decent build up and deliveries into the box. McCormack seemed to need an extra second to think before making his moves. Bothroyd came on and immediately added directness. He got the ball and aimed goalwards. I liked that. City's crossing and corners were excellent all game. It took until the 90th minute though for it to pay dividends.

I thought Steve McPhail did well in midfield while I would say that Glenn Loovens was under par at the back with his partner Johnson the better of the two centre halves.

Tom Heaton's kicking was good most of the time, though a couple did go wayward. We relied on backpasses far too often resulting in long hoofs forward that Dave Jones would not have been happy with. Kennedy liked to probe forward but does not have the pace to get back quick enough. He needed Loovens to cover for him a few times.

There were some funny moments whe the subs were warming up. City's Darren Purse was running up and down the touchline next to Saint's Nathan Dyer and Bradley Wright Phillips. The two Southampton men were charged earlier this year for theft after being caught on film stealing from a nightclub. Dyer has since admitted his guilt while Phillips is still to face a hearing. The City fans in the Lower Grandstand were singing "Darren Darren mind your Purse" and "You're just a thieving b*****d". Both players got on the pitch where they were barracked whenever they touched the ball.

So the season is underway. We are unbeaten with a 100% record. I wonder how long that will last. Next week we face Doncaster. The newly promoted Yorkshiremen won at Derby on the opening day. It promises to be a cracker at the Keepmoat Stadium for their first game at home next Saturday. It's their first home game at this level for 50 years.