No goals but a massive point gained

Last updated : 09 February 2013 By Michael Morris

smith_huddsIt turned out to be a really good point after Leicester were beaten 2 - 1 at bottom club Peterborough and Hull were beaten 1 - 0 at Brighton.

City have picked up 20 points from the last 24 available, the burst in form has left the rest trailing and after collectiing seven points from the last three games, all away, the Bluebirds find themselves eleven points clear of Leicester in 2nd place, Watford in 3rd and Hull who remain 4th. 

Next up City face Bristol City (Feb 16th 1:00pm) and Brighton (Feb 19th 7:45pm) in a crucial home double header that could hopefully inject a further boost to City's promotion ambition.

Mind you Bristol City won again today and have won three of their last four games (all at home though - away from home they have lost all three games played in 2013).

Match review from the BBC.

Joint Huddersfield caretaker managers Mark Lillis and Steve Eyre were able to name central defender Joel Lynch for his first start since New Year's Day, while striker Sean Scannell was recalled.

Cardiff boss Malky Mackay made minimal changes, with Kevin McNaughton replacing Ben Turner at right-back.

Neither side produced a shot on goal in a cagey opening quarter of an hour before Huddersfield striker Vaughan headed wide from six yards.

Cardiff defender Mark Hudson was off target with a header from similar distance at the other end and home midfielder Oliver Norwood fired a 25-yard free-kick over the crossbar.

Huddersfield took the game to the leaders and had a goal disallowed midway through the first half when Vaughan hooked the ball home from a corner, only for referee Mark Brown to rule Cardiff goalkeeper Marshall had been fouled.

The visitors enjoyed their best spell as half-time approached and Huddersfield goalkeeper Alex Smithies, captain for the day in the absence of Peter Clarke, was forced into a full-length save to turn away Craig Bellamy's 25-yard free-kick.

Cardiff almost snatched the lead in time added on at the end of the first half when centre-half Connolly crashed a shot from the right edge of the penalty area against the post.

The Welshmen were then dealt an injury blow as McNaughton required medical treatment after a heavy challenge and he was replaced during the interval by Ben Nugent.

Cardiff began to get on top early in the second period and Bellamy fired an angled left-footed shot just wide in the 60th minute.

Smithies then fumbled an effort from Craig Conway and Nugent headed the subsequent corner the wrong side of the post as Huddersfield were forced on to the back foot.

Bellamy smashed a free-kick from the edge of the area into the wall with three minutes remaining to end a frustrating afternoon for the Welshmen, while Huddersfield were given a standing ovation by the majority of a 15,265-strong crowd.