Pontyclun 0 - 3 Cardiff City XI. Match report.

Last updated : 23 July 2003 By Michael Morris

The game was a testimonial for Pontyclun right back Giuseppe Mele and was well attended with a crowd of approx 400 - 500 surrounding the undulating pitch. Another 50 or 60 kids were playing on the adjacent pitch with several games of varying team sizes going on.

Cardiff lined up

1. Brimble
2. Parslow
3. Huggins
4. Jenkins
5. Cronin
7. Heywood
8. Ledley
9. Thomas

Subs Hartley, Attard (GK), Taylor.

It only took 7 mins for City to take the lead, the impressive Jon Kift found room in the box and his unselfish pass found Danny Thomas who was able to hook the ball into the empty net with the keeper and a defender clashing into each other.

Cardiff looked the fitter and more organised side but Pontyclun did not give them an easy ride. I would not use the word "friendly" for this clash. Both teams were fully committed as each had a point to prove.

The City keeper Brimble was rarely troubled but Pontyclun did put in several ambitious efforts.

It took until the 38th minute before Thomas struck again. A seemingly wayward cross from the left drifted towards the far touchline. A tame situation soon broke Pontyclun's hearts as a looping ball back into the box foiled all bar the pint sized Thomas who was able to sneak in around the back and head just inside the far post.

Half time. Pontyclun 0 - 2 Cardiff City

Jon Kift was replaced at half time, the City striker took a knock to the head just before the break and left the field with a bandage being applied to the back of his head.

Cardiff continued to play the better football but Pontyclun gave it their all. The game was declared over early in the second half. A City move down the left was finished when Thomas bagged his hat-trick with a crisp finish inside the left hand post.

Cardiff were able to attack at will and Thomas will rue three close range efforts that all went high over the bar. City were comfortable but Pontyclun came back and enjoyed a fair spell of attacking pressure.

Three times they put young Brimble in goal under pressure. Twice the keeper struggled to hold the ball and once it was missed completely with Pontyclun nearly snatching a consolation.

The closest the home side came was from a close range header that flew over the bar.

I'll be honest in saying that I do not get chance to see the youngsters play but on tonights performance I'd go and see them again.

As Pontyclun tired City could have dramatically increased the score but poor finishing and some good goalkeeping kept the score respectable.

Full time. Pontyclun 0 - 3 Cardiff City.