Replay required as City concede late on

Last updated : 12 January 2010 By Michael Morris
The match was played in wintery conditions with a covering of snow on the pitch for most of the game.

Cardiff found it difficult to create clear cut chances and David Marshall was comfortable with the efforts from the home side.

City started the game with Chopra and McCormack upfront and there were starts for Aaron Wildig and Adam Matthews.

Gavin Rae went off injured and he was replaced by Solomon Taiwo. Later in the game Warren Feeney came on for Ross McCormack.

It was Feeney closing down the Bristol keeper Dean Gerken that led to Cardiff's goal. Gerken got himself into a pickle with a poor clearance that Michael Chopra struck from wide right into the unguarded net.

There was some touchline goings on with Chopra apparantly felled by Bristol City boss Gary Johnson as the striker was celebrating. Chopra jumped and pushed Johnson away. This followed another incident near the corner flag when a Bristol City substitute tried to hold up play.

Chopra's goal came on 76 mins. On 90 the board went up for 4 mins added time and as the clock struck 92 City conceded. I was expecting it. Long before the Peterborough debacle I have become accustomed to giving away late goals.

Nicky Maynard's ball skimmed across to Gavin Williams who struck a low drive past Marshall from 20 yards.

Michael Chopra had the last effort of the game but his shot went wide.

So they have to do it all again. The replay will take place at the Cardiff City Stadium next Tuesday, January 19th, ko 7:45pm. The winners of that game (and it will be settled on the night) will face Leicester the following weekend.

City were only able to name 6 subs and one of them was youngster Jon Meades. I hope we can get more players back before Scunthorpe on Saturday and the replay next Tuesday.

Good luck to the fans travelling home from Ashton Gate. The weather during the game was poor in the West Country and a heavy blanket of snow fell on South Wales during the early evening so it'll be a tough trek back to the homes and families of the Cardiff supporters.

A draw is not a bad result, especially given the conditions. Just a shame we couldn't hang on.

Bookmark and Share