Tiverton Town 2 - 2 Cardiff City. Match report.

Last updated : 04 August 2003 By Matthew Gabb
Many thanks to John Reidy for this report, which will also go to the Exeter Express & Echo for publication today. He said the most impressive players on the pitch were Stuart Fleetwood and James Collins (who was a "rock" in defence).

From John Reidy at Ladysmead
Saturday 2 August 2003

Tiverton Town 2 v 2 Cardiff City XI

......Right from the kick off it was clear that the visitors were not going to be a push over. Despite the heat they showed that they were quick, fit and skilful. Town matched their high speed start and for the first seven minutes it was end to end football at a frantic pace, though no real chances were created. Until the seventh minute when James Mudge pounced on a mis-hit attempted clearance halfway inside the visitors half and made a bee-line for goal. As he cut into the penalty area he was rudely upended and Steve Winter crashed the ball home from the penalty spot to put Tivvy in front.

For a while it looked as if it might be easy for the Devon men but the young Welsh players battled back and gradually took the upperhand. After looking dangerous and coming close on a number of occasions Stuart Fleetwood deservedly pulled Cardiff level on the half hour. And two minutes before the break the same player found the net for the second time to give the visitors the lead as they continued to have the better of things.

The half time reshuffle had Tiverton looking far livelier at the start of the second half and for the first time in the game the Cardiff keeper was the busier of the two glovesmen. Mudge beat him in the 55th minute but was denied a place on the scoresheet by a goal-line clearance and was again thwarted as the keeper rushed out of his area to hack clear as Mudge chased onto a through ball from Steve Ovens. Not that Fraser was a spectator, pulling off one spectacular save from Cardiff skipper James Collins as the Welshman connected firmly with a powerful header in the 61st minute. It was a brilliant save that was to be matched by Arron Lee-Barrett at the opposite end as the game drifted into the final ten minutes. Chenoweth's lob looked as if it had beaten the keeper and was dropping into the goal until a last second stretch in mid air gave the slightest of touches to ease the ball over the crossbar.

Now looking the more dangerous side Tiverton were again denied the equaliser when Mudge fired wide having created shooting space by turning two defenders inside out as he pursued a massive clearance from Fraser. With time running out, Town eventually received their reward when Kevin Nancekivell turned in a crowded penalty area to find a gap and force the ball home to level the scores. ........

Tiverton Town: S Fraser, A Robertson, S Goff, J Rees (P Chenoweth,46), M Aubrey, R Cousins, B Harris (K Nancekivell,46), C Holloway (L Vinnicombe,68), R Pears (S Ovens,46), J Mudge, S Winter (D Steele,46).
Sub not used: D Haines.

Cardiff City: A Lee-Barrett, D Parslow, K Huggins, R Morgan, B Anthony, J Collins, M Hayward, A Taylor, D Thomas, S Fleetwood, N Fish
Subs: J Kift, D Brimble GK, M Parkins, S Cronin, L Jenkins, J Jackobson

Tiverton Town website : http://www.tiverton-town-fc.co.uk/