Two injury time penalties missed as City lose to Wolves

Last updated : 06 April 2018 By Michael Morris

Ruben Neves' second half free kick (here) earned three points for Wolves at CCS tonight and put the visitors on the verge of promotion.

Cardiff had the chance to snatch a point in added time when they were awarded not one, but two penalty kicks. Incredibly both were missed with Gary Madine seeing his kick saved by John Ruddy after Anthony Pilkington was pushed over and with 10 seconds of added time left Aron Gunnarsson was felled and up stepped Junior Hoilett but his effort beat the keeper only to come off the bar and the final whistle blew.

Wolves went crazy as you'd expect with manager Nuno Espirito Santo flying from the dugout to join his players on the pitch leaving Neil Warnock stood waiting for a handshake that was not coming.

That triggered amazing scenes and Santo later came looking for Warnock who was applauding the shell-shocked Cardiff fans. As the Portuguese approached the City manager Warnock told him in no uncertain terms where to go and for around twenty seconds Santo's pleas to Warnock were met with 'F**k offs' from a raging Bluebirds boss.

Cardiff shaded a first half that saw two cracking chances from Joe Bennett and Yanic Wildschut, the latter a superb free kick that Ruddy palmed away. But Wolves always looked strong overall if not impressive near goal.

Neves skied one free kick but moments later got it right to score the only goal.


As City pressed Wolves missed a number of further chances and the penalties aside Cardiff were just too blunt as they looed for a way back.

Madine will get stick for doing little for his price tag. Zohore was subbed for Madine and his effort was indifferent. If anyone deserved a break from the match is was Hoilett, if he had scored it would have been fair reward for again being one of the best players in the City side.

Before Norwich and Villa kick on Saturday they have played the same number of games now as Cardiff. The Bluebirds have a five point lead on Fulham and a seven point lead on Villa. So it's still in City's control.

Now we hope to catch a break on Saturday before a massive game at Villa on Tuesday.