Welshpool 0 - 1 Cardiff City

Last updated : 23 January 2008 By Michael Morris
Report from Paul Corkery (with links to some pics)
http://links.pictures.aol.com/pic/6070Yq6qM1*gBSzrV5YkIkvgJS xdarO4dkGK_l.jpg

http://links.pictures.aol.com/pic/6070Yq6qM1*gBSzrV5YkIkvgJS i88s80wcSH_l.jpg

http://links.pictures.aol.com/pic/6070Yq6qM1*gBSzrV5YkIkvgJS HJUc*KCzRN_l.jpg

http://links.pictures.aol.com/pic/6070Yq6qM1*gBSzrV5YkIkvgJa XSsrwDa-KI_l.jpg

http://links.pictures.aol.com/pic/6070Yq6qM1*gBSzrV5YkIkvgJV y7kfiAb61P_l.jpg

Left at 4 pm it was dark by the time we reached Builth Wells, onwards through the winding roads to Newtown and finally Welshpool at 6.30.

£8 to get into the tiny ground, where 702 people were in attendance, Mac paid a quid for a golden goal ticket.We got a cup of tea and hot dog for £2 and tried to sit down in the stand...it was too tight and we decided to stand in the open end opposite the main stand...see photo above.

The pitch looked heavy from the start and there was a very obvious slope in the pitch..City would play uphill first half.
We fielded a young side but Forde, Purse, Cooper and Ramsey had all played in the first team...Welshpool fielded a physical looking side.
It was pretty even first half but the Welshpool team netted twice, both ruled offside, the second goal was harshly judged in my opinion and looked a good goal..their two forwards were ranting at the ref and linesmen for the rest of the game.

Ramsey was doing alright in the mud, Cooper was showing his experience but pacing himself, Purse was excellent.
The youngsters tried all night to play football but the pitch was not good at all...we overplayed at times when route one may have worked, we never shot enough but the work rate and commitment matched the determination of the home side.
Green was trying hard up front but never really troubled the home defence.
It looked like a certain draw when one of our better players on the night, BROWN, scored with a well taken free kick in the eighty fifth minute...that was the ticket Mac had in the Golden goal so he won the £25 prize .
Still time for the gallent home side to equalise but a great save from Forde at the death meant we could leave with a victory.
Time for fish and chips...out of Mac's winnings and got home in two hours fifteen minutes....roads were not great but I bet we passed no more than 20 cars on the way home...very quiet.

We still have a chance of the £100,000 prize...worth winniing I think...estinated 100 City fans there.
Attendance 702
Welshpool 0 Cardiff City 1
Brown 85 mins