Cardiff City 0 Tottenham Hotspur 0. Match Report

Last updated : 08 January 2007 By Michael Morris
The Bluebirds live to fight another day after holding Premiership giants Spurs to a goalless draw in an entertaining FA Cup third round clash at a rain-lashed Ninian Park.

It was a game City dominated for long periods and, had they taken their chances, particularly in the first half, they could well have pulled off a deserved victory.

City had Willo Flood in place of the injured Paul Parry while Spurs had Aaron Lennon and Robbie Keane on the bench after they passed fitness tests.

A neat build-up down the Spurs left found Jermain Defoe but his ball into the danger area had too much pace and was gathered by Neil Alexander.

Spurs were swift on the break and a header by Dimitar Berbatov after ten minutes sent Defoe racing through but he screwed his shot wide of the far post.

The Bluebirds went close four minutes later when Michael Chopra raced onto a poor back-pass from Young-Pyo Lee. He beat Paul Robinson to the loose ball but in lifting his effort over the keeper he sent his shot wide.

Midway through the half Berbatov flashed in a first-time effort that Alexander needed two bites at before gathering, but City went straight back up the field for Robinson to give away a corner after fumbling a Steve Thompson header.

City were now taking the game to Spurs and Flood won the ball in midfield before sending Chopra away but his cross just eluded Thompson at the far post.

The first half ended with the Bluebirds having restricted Spurs to those two Berbatov strikes.

City had kept Defoe quiet in the first half but he broke free soon after the break only to fire wide of the far post with Alexander beaten.

On the hour the busy Flood worked his way down the right before finding Riccardo Scimeca in space but the midfielder was well wide with his goal attempt.

Back came Spurs and a Steed Malbranque cross found an unmarked Defoe but Alexander dived bravely at his feet to smother.

Martin Jol threw Lennon on in the 67th minute for Danny Murphy and he made his presence felt immediately with a run and cross that had Alexander scrambling across goal.

Trouble broke out in the away fans' enclosure with 15 minutes remaining and then a flare was lit in the home area but police moved in quickly to calm the situation.

Keane came on as Spurs looked for inspiration but the City defence held firm and it was the Championship side that ended the game on top.

External Reports
The Independent
The Telegraph
The Times
The Guardian
The Western Mail