Cardiff City 2 - 1 Stoke City. Match Report

Last updated : 27 February 2024 By BBC Sport

Cardiff City ended their horrible home form as they held on for a 2-1 home win against relegation threatened Stoke.


Cardiff, who had not scored a home league goal since Boxing Day, raced into a 2-0 lead thanks to Kion Etete's header and Karlan Grant's firm effort.

Stoke responded before the interval as Bae Junho tapped home to score his first Potters goal on 41 minutes.

The visitors were the better side after the interval but defeat sees them slip into the Championship's bottom three.

The Bluebirds will feel delighted to have shaded this contest as they finally showed a clinical touch in front of goal at home.

It was fair to say supporter expectations were probably low, on both sides, ahead of this contest.

Stoke headed to south Wales only three points above the relegation zone and though Cardiff began the day six points better off, both clubs have been in rotten form for a number of weeks.

In the past 24 game weeks, Stoke have been the fifth worst team in the Championship and Cardiff the fourth, with only the Bluebirds' strong start sparing them the relegation battle the Potters currently find themselves in.

With only one win apiece in their last six games, it was little surprise to see both managers making changes to their sides with Stoke boss Steven Schumacher making six changes to the XI beaten by Coventry last time out included a recall for Daniel Iversen in goal.

Bluebirds boss Erol Bulut made three changes, with captain Joe Ralls back from injury, as Cardiff looked to reverse their dismal home form, having failed to win at home since 9 December and having failed to score a goal at home since Boxing Day.

Cardiff had only found the net 18 times in 16 home league games this season with Bulut stating that the pressure from fans could be a reason for their miserly return, but the home fans were in good voice as the Bluebirds started on the front foot.

Their first home goal of 2024 arrived after just five minutes as Etete headed home from a corner with Iversen unsighted as Josh Bowler ran across him. "We've scored a goal," the home fans sang with glee.

Stoke missed a glorious chance to equalise on 16 minutes when Million Manhoef's pinpoint pass beat Cardiff's offside trap, but Niall Ennis hurriedly dragged his shot wide despite having the time and space to pick his spot.

The miss proved extremely costly as Cardiff scored with their second effort on goal as Ralls picked out Grant who fired across Iversen as he slipped, with the goalkeeper only able to deflect the ball into the net.

The Potters needed a response and found one on 41 minutes as Junho got his reward for winning a dangerous free-kick, with the South Korean reacting quickest to turn home the rebound as Ethan Horvath could only push out Lewis Baker's powerful effort.

The visitors began the second half brightly and Horvath needed to be alert to save after Ennis flicked Jordan Thompson's cross toward goal.

Another splendid chance was spurned moments later as first Ennis' shot from an acute angle and then sub Josh Laurent's header from the rebound were saved by Horvath.

The Potters were dominating possession and posing the bigger questions as they pushed and probed for an equaliser that appeared more and more likely to arrive, but Cardiff held firm to secure a morale-boosting win that keeps them nine points above the drop zone.

Stoke's players and manager were booed by their supporters at the final whistle as they slumped to a sixth defeat in seven and slipped into the relegation zone.


Cardiff City: Horvath, Ng, Goutas, Phillips, Wilson-Esbrand (74’ Turnbull), Bowler (66’ Meite), Siopsis, R Colwill (66’ Collins), Ralls ©, Grant (54’ Wintle), Etete (74’ Diedhiou). Subs: Turner, Romeo, J Colwill, Ashford.


Stoke City: Iversen, Thompson, Rose, Wilmot, Manhoef (78’ Campbell), Baker, Burger (78’ Vidigal), Cundle (45’ Laurent), Bae (87’ Lowe), Ennis, Tchamadeu (45’ Gooch). Subs: Bonham, Pearson, Hoever, Leris.