Reading 2 - 1 Cardiff City. Match Report

Last updated : 07 August 2022 By BBC Sport

A stunning second-half strike from Tom Ince helped Reading come from behind to beat Cardiff City.


The visitors dominated the opening exchanges after Callum O'Dowda headed them into an early lead.

Shane Long equalised with a penalty after Ince was brought down by Curtis Nelson.

The Royals applied increasing pressure after the break and, although chances were scarce, they secured victory in style as Ince let fly with a 25-yard thunderbolt.


Having lost at Blackpool on the opening weekend, this was a spirited response from Reading as they embark on what manager Paul Ince predicted would be a "tough season" following the club's transfer embargo and financial struggles.

As for Cardiff, boss Steve Morison will rue his team's squandering of a fine opportunity to build on their victory over Norwich City last Saturday.

This is a new-look Bluebirds side after a summer of flux in which 14 new signings arrived and 10 senior players departed, and it was one of those off-season recruits, O'Dowda, who put them ahead in the fourth minute as he nodded in at the back post from Ryan Wintle's free-kick.

O'Dowda almost had a second soon afterwards but, after being teed up by Sheyi Ojo, his low shot was well saved by Reading goalkeeper Joe Lumley.

It was a bright start from the visitors, with Ryan Wintle dictating play from the base of midfield and O'Dowda and Ojo threatening on the break.

However, the momentum of the encounter soon swung in Reading's direction as they were gifted an equaliser.

Cardiff centre-back Cedric Kipre misjudged a header from a long ball, allowing Ince to run in behind and take the ball past keeper Ryan Allsop. As Ince then shaped to shoot, he was pulled back by Nelson, who conceded a penalty but was fortunate only to be shown a yellow card with no covering defender in sight.

Reading supporters bayed for a red but had to be content with a spot-kick, which the returning Long struck into the bottom corner to score on his first start for the Royals exactly 11 years since his last.

The leveller gave the hosts fresh impetus and they should have led when Andy Yiadom's teasing low cross was fired over from close range by Nesta Guinness-Walker.

Cardiff seemed to compose themselves again in the early stages of the second half, but Reading continued to grow in confidence and they took the lead in spectacular fashion.

Ince picked up possession around 30 yards out, took a touch forward and allowed the ball to bobble in front of him before unleashing a fierce strike into the top corner.

Neither side offered much in attack from that point, with Cardiff increasingly direct and desperate in their search for an equaliser while Reading were happy to hold on to their lead and a well-earned first win of the season.


Reading: Lumley, Guinness-Walker, McIntyre, Holmes, Yiadom, Hoilett (Clarke 90+5'), Fornah, Hendrick, Ejaria (Abrefa 66'), Ince, Long (Ehibhationhan 81').


Subs not used: Bouzanis, Holzman, Leavy, Tuma.


Cardiff City: Allsop, Romeo (Philogene 74'), Nelson, Kipré, Wintle, Rinomhota (Ralls 46'), Sawyers (Sang 74'), O'Dowda, Ojo (Etete 75'), Watters (Harris 52').


Subs not used: Alnwick, Denham.